Saturday, August 20, 2005

Letter to my reps about the Fair Tax

Dear Representative Stearns,

I have just finished reading the Fair Tax book by Neal Boortz and Congressman John Linder. This note is to ask you most fervantly to support this legislation.

I Personally sent a lot of money to Washington last year in payment of my federal tax obligation, and I realize that I could very well pay that much again under the Fair Tax proposal. I fully understand that the Fair Tax plan will NOT reduce federal revenues. What it will do, however, is save me the money and time I had to pay my accountant to fill out the multi-page return. Additionally, it appears that the huge underground economy will finally pay its fair share.

Since federal revenues will not be reduced, I wouldn't understand why all 535 members of Congress shouldn't support this overhaul. I mean you still get to divvy up at least 2.5 trillion dollars, and furthermore I don't see this as any kind of a “wedge” issue like the war or abortion. I mean I cannot really see any potential opponent using this issue to try to win an your seat.

Moreover, the “poor” which we all care about so much, will not suffer one iota. They get a “prebate” for all their essentials according to this plan.

It seems to me that virtually the only people who could logically object to this plan would be IRS employees and that segment of the “K Street” lobbyists who are concerned with tax legislation. I wouldn't expect much grief from the IRS employees, but no doubt you will be getting an earful from “Gucci Gulch.” Those guys, most of them multi-millionaires in their own right, will fight this thing tooth and nail, and I can't say I blame them. But now it's time to allow them to go on to more productive pursuits. They are smart and they are rich. They will not suffer.

So for once, I beg you, I implore you to pass this legislation before we are subjected to all the obfuscation that will occur as the small (but rich) special interest groups will no doubt innundate us with in the coming months.

I leave you with this quote from the Founding Fathers:

"It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can guess what it will be to-morrow."
-- Alexander Hamilton and James Madison (Federalist No. 62, 1788)

No comments: